Thursday, January 22, 2015

How it all began......by 
Heidie Sharpe-

My goal is to entertain and educate pre K to 2nd graders with a focus on self-esteem and self-respect.  The CanDos were born out of a desire to teach kids that they Can Do whatever they put their minds to. 

I was a child that survived 2 divorces and found myself on my own at age 17, I put myself through community college in Los Angeles and then went to work.  I started at the bottom and worked my way up through the ranks to one day run and own my business. 

After seeing The Secret on Oprah in 2007, I sat down and made a list of the things I wanted in my life and ended up opening The Connection Performing Arts Center in a small town in Western Washington.   Just two short years after opening the center we were crowned The United States Hip Hop Junior Division Champions. That lead us to appear on Season 6 of America’s Got Talent, where we made it all the way to the quarter finals as Sharon Osbourne’s “Wild Card”.   After appearing on the show many amazing opportunities  followed; such as movies, concerts, and commercials.  MTV’s America’s Best Dance Crew, Nike, Rachel Ray, We Day Seattle, U.S.A. Varsity Champions in 2013 and dancing for Oprah on her “Life I Want Tour”.

All of this success and the success of our young performers lead me to ask questions. What if what we did at the studio wasn’t a fluke, but a way to teach anyone that if they worked hard and believed, that anything was possible? What if we could reach the kids before they got to us and they arrived with that mentality?  How could I transfer the lessons I learned and applied at The Connection to a much younger demographic? 
That’s the day the CanDos were born!

This labor of love started in October 2010 and has become my passion.  I am so excited for this new adventure and sharing this message with the children of the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment